Friday, September 23, 2011

Phrases about Islam

     In reading these chapters by Armstrong on Islam in Jerusalem, I found that I was struck by  to some individual phrases which reminded or or challenged what I thought, how I thought, what I understood, and how I understood.

     "The concept of sacred... is not seen as separate, but something that informs the whole of life."                   
             This statement strikes me as so utterly true of the Islamic faith and it can be seen through way they consider government and religion unseparable, but I had never heard it thus expressed.

     "It came naturally to the Muslims to consult the Jews about the disposition of the site that had been sacred to their ancestors."
             Naturally??  This is an unusual claim for someone writing about a city comprised of three groups which have never gotten along even with great effort, let alone through natural  tendencies.
  
    "The caliph chose to build his dome around the rock that protruded from the Herodian pavement toward the northern end of the platform.  Why did he choose to honor this rock, which is not mentioned either in the Bible or the Qur'an?  Later Muslims would believe that Muhammed had ascended to heaven from the Rock after his Night Journey and that he had prayed in the small cave beneath.  But in 688 this event had not yet been definitively linked with Jerusalem: had Abd al Malik intended to commemorate the miraj of the Prophet, he would have certainly inscribed the appropriate Qur'anic verses somewhere in the shrine.  But he did not do so.  We do not know whence the devotion to the Rock originates."
            I was utterly shocked to hear that there is not a decisive origin of the Muslim devotion to the Rock since it seems so central to Islam today.  Do Muslims not consider it a great symbol of their faith?  Would Muslims agree that the story which gave the rock importance was linked to it after it became a shrine?

2 comments:

  1. I like the way that the Dome of the Rock section jumped out at you. I was also shocked to learn about the almost 'invented' significance of the rock for Muslims. I would survey different Muslims and ask how they feel about the Dome of the Rock and is it central to their personal faith in God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey! I'm Noura, Dr. H's TA for the Living Jerusalem class over at OSU. She asked me to take a look at and comment on some of the reading responses for this week in order to give a Muslim perspective on the assigned reading.

    There are a couple of things that I would like to voice as a Muslim that I think are often misunderstood. In my experience, and from my perspective and understanding of my religion, the state and religion are not as inextricably linked as often portrayed. Particularly in the diverse world that we live in today, I, as a Muslim, do not find it necessary for "Muslim" states to have religious rule in all aspects of state life. Further, as a Muslim American, I don't believe, nor would I want to have a particular religion (whatever religion that may be) rule the state or run the government.

    Also, about the passage regarding the location for the Dome of the Rock--when I read the book for the first time, this section struck me deeply. For the prior chapters on Judaism and Christianity, I accepted what Armstrong wrote, finding it an interesting history of the area, but not really questioning how people of Jewish or Christian traditions would react to her portrayal of their religious history. When I read this section, I immediately felt defensive, because she challenged what had been deeply ingrained in me and my identity as a Muslim and Palestinian regarding the Dome of the Rock. This helped me go back and read the book again with a new perspective regarding Judaism and Christianity. Armstrong's perspective on when the religious tradition regarding the holiness of the Dome of the Rock "originated" clashes with what many Muslims believe. I'm sure if your LJ class hasn't had a chance to discuss the issue of "holiness" and what it is or how it is formed, I'm sure you will sometime before the end of the semester! It is a very interesting topic to consider. Is one religious belief "holier" than another? What makes a place "holy," and what is the significance or importance of the concept of holiness in people's lives? How does this relate to the conflicting claims in Jerusalem?

    Finally--I would just like to disagree with your classification that Muslims, Jews and Christians have never gotten along even with great effort. It is a common perception, particularly in light of the conflicts in the Middle East (which I believe help perpetuate that belief). I hope that by finishing the Armstrong book, and perhaps through the rest of the semester, you'll come to realize that the history between the three groups is not nearly as conflicted as often believed! This would be a great paper topic... :-)

    Sorry for the long post! Let Dr. H know if you would like my contact info.

    ReplyDelete