Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Impact of Music

     For me, music is connected most obviously to my life through church and my parents.  Church was where I first 'formally' sang.  My mother encouraged my siblings and I to sing 'la' along with the hymns, before we could read, as a way of engaging us in the service.  We sang for Christmas programs and Easter programs, for Vacation Bible School and for choir.  I was also impacted by the fact that, not only did my mother sing, but my father sang as well, even when many men did not.  My parents showed me that music was another opportunity to praise God. 
    Not only does my father sing in church, he also loves to listen to the emerging music genre of Christian rock - especially when it became hard rock - and even when Christian rap appeared.  From him, I gained a love of Christian rock and rap and love to jam to it with the volume and bass turned up.
    It was my mother with whom I sang along to nursery rhymes in the car, my mother who insisted on me learning to play the piano (which I continue to enjoy), my mother who introduced me to the Beatles, my mother who practiced solos for choir with me, and my mother who taught me about the impact music can have on one's life.  She taught me that music is a powerful form of communication and what we listen to has an impact on how we live our lives because what one puts into the mind, is what will come out through the mouth and the hands.  Whenever I listen to music, I am conscientious of what I am hearing and thus putting into my mind.
     This idea of music as a powerful communicator translates well to the conflict in Israel and Palestine.  Negative music will likely lead to negative outcomes, whereas positive and enlightening music has the opportunity to produce good.

No comments:

Post a Comment